I’ll be honest, when I got my first Swiss Army knife as a kid, I got giddy. Not only was I a 9-year-old kid who owned a knife (good job, parents), but I owned a knife that doubles as a toothpick, tweezers, and screwdriver, among other things.
Growing up, I used it more often than I ever imagined I would—cutting rope, opening packages, picking food out of my mouth weekly with that knife. It was safe to say that, until it was taken away from me by TSA one fateful day (I was so used to it, I didn't think twice about bringing it through security... bad choice), it was too valuable not to have. It had too many uses not to be useful.
My friends, I’m here to tell you that your blog is like a Swiss Army knife for your digital marketing efforts... it might sound like a stretch, so let me explain.
In the eyes of many, a blog is just a butterknife.
It’s nice to have, useful in some situations, but not the first thing that comes to mind on your list of priorities. Most CEOs and founders view a blog post as a potential way to share information or educate some vague, undefined readers on their business, but not much more. It’ll spread a buttery layer of content across your social media channels when necessary, and might scrape a few pieces of food into your sales funnel on occasion, but that’s really it... right? While this is pretty common thinking, it’s unfortunate because a blog is so much more.
In reality, your blog is a Swiss Army knife ready for action.
Hiding in plain sight is a host of powerful tools to help you perform much-needed business functions and hit your goals. Here is a short list of ways you can use great blog content as part of your inbound marketing strategy to bring in more business, retain employees, and set you on a path to conquer the world!
14 Swiss Army blog uses:
- Slice through the noise with sharp, useful content. 🔪
- Drive your points home before or after meeting with potential customers by sending them links to relevant blog posts. 🔩
- File away your competition as you rank higher and higher on search engines for valuable keywords with high search volume.
- Measure reader interest with Google Analytics sources and behavior flows that highlight your best posts and website traffic through each one. 📏
- Pick apart complex processes and technical topics with walkthrough posts or in-depth explanations.
- Cut up your long-form posts into smaller, bite-sized pieces of content that can be shared on social media and in email blasts. ✂️
- Hook potential hires with engaging post titles and posts that feature your amazing company culture.
- Magnify your industry authority by sharing news and fresh perspectives. 🔍
- Light the way for customer success with blog posts sharing tips on getting the most out of your product, documentation resources, and pieces that educate customers about your additional features or services! 🔦
- Pen powerful new topic clusters led by pillar content pages that earn authority-building backlinks from other web publishers. 🖋
- Pluck new customers out of the shadows with informative blog posts about their industry, without trying to sell them.
- Chisel away common misconceptions about your business or industry with educational content.
- Tighten your brand by writing helpful guides for your marketing team. 🔧
- Uncork the bottlenecks in your sales funnel with blog posts that actually generate actions from your readers, workplace tips, resources, and documentation. 🍾
And finally, a few more tips for getting results with blog content:
- Blog posts work really well in email campaigns to gauge the interest level of your leads. Are they clicking through constantly? They are interested without even telling you. Never opening your emails but you think they are a “hot lead”? Think again.
- Cold emails to potential customers can work really well for lead generation when you’re just sharing cool blog posts that actually help them out.
- Use headings and meta descriptions in your posts so Google and other crawlers can eat up your content and deem you worthy of ranking well.
- Consider offering free resources to your audience, locked away behind a lead capture or paywall.
- Equip your sales team with specific blog posts about each of your products or services, so they can follow up each call with useful content as part of a consultative sales process that builds trust, rapport, and authority along the way.
- Share updates to your investors, customers, and audience with milestone posts. Get them invested in your journey.
- Write evergreen content that can always be relevant for readers when credible publishers want to backlink to your posts. This has a major impact on your organic search ranking, helping you escape the deathtrap of Adtopia (much to Google’s & Facebook’s dismay) and reach the fertile lands of sustainable, organic traffic.
- Slice up your posts into smaller takeaways, and integrate them into graphic/audio/video content that you can rotate through on Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other channels as brand-new, fresh content that establishes your brand as a thought leader in your industry. Having unique, high-quality blog content gives you permission to post in the same channels over and over again.
- Encourage employees to write their own posts, which empowers them to take ownership, increase their industry knowledge, and helps them feel like the important piece of your organization that they really are.
So there you have it, my friends. Blogging is so much more useful than a butterknife. We will be expanding this list over time, so come back and check it out over time and it should be longer. Do you have any other Swiss Army uses to add? Add a comment or email@example.com!
Life is too short to write your own blog posts. Start an SEO-rich blog with PubLoft for only $500/mo. See you on the other side 😎